Proper scalp examination should be included in patient's complete physical examination as scalp involvement is often overlooked or even misdiagnosed initially. It can be the only presenting complaint in some serious diseases like dermatomyositis and are always overlooked or misdiagnosed as scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis before progression of the disease or tissue examination reveales the diagnosis of dermatomyositis. (J. Scott Kasteler, MD; Jeffrey P. Callen, MD. JAMA. 1994;272:1939-1941) Tinea capitis, fungus scalp infection is common among school children. The major organism responsible for tinea capitis today is trichophyton tonsurans which accounts for more than 90%of ringworm infections of the scalp in North America the remaining 10% is caused by Microsporum canis and Microsporum audouinii. Griseofulvin is used for the treatment of tinea capitis but relapse is common. Alternative drugs such as ketoconazole are occasionally used, but ketoconazole has a greater risk of hepatotoxicity, is more expensive, and is less effective. ( Vargo, Karen; Cohen, Bernard A. The American Academy of Pediatrics Volume 92(1) Jul 1993 pp 155-157).

Asymptomatic carriers of trichophyton tonsurans usually remaine culture-positive and probably play a role in the transmission of tinea capitis to the household children. ( Williams, Judith V.; Honig, Paul J.; McGinley, Kenneth J.; Leyden, James J. The American Academy of Pediatrics. Volume 96(2) Aug 1995 pp 265-267)

Alopecia areata is a tissue-restricted autoimmune disease of the hair follicle, which results in hair loss and baldness. It is often psychologically devastating. The role of T lymphocytes in this disorder was investigated with cell transfer experiments. Studies indicate that alopecia areata is mediated by T cells which recognize a follicular autoantigen (Gilhar, Amos. Ullmann, Yehuda. Berkutzki, Tamara. Assy, Bedia. Kalish, Richard S. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 101(1):62-67, 1998 January 1).

Androgenetic alopecia, a hereditary, androgen-driven disorder, is the most common form of alopecia in humans. It is more severe in men; women are more likely to experience diffuse thinning. The acute onset of alopecia in those with inflammatory diseases of the scalp suggests a variety of etiologies, including the impact of inflammatory cells, release of cytokines, presence of growth factors. Therapeutic modalities, which are most effective when used in combinations, utilize hair growth promoters, antiandrogens, and androgen blockade agents. (Bergfeld, Wilma F M D .American Journal of Medicine.)  

Ingredients

Sesquiterpene lactone: 
It is purified from the alcoholic extract of Arnica and it has anti-inflammatory effect. Studies suggest molecular mechanism for the anti-inflammatory effect of sesquiterpene lactones, which differs from anti-inflammatory drugs. (Lyss G. Schmidt T J. Merfort I. Pahl H L. Helenalin. Biological Chemistry 378(9). 1997. 951-961). 

Sesquiterpene showed bactericidal activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) with a minimum bactericidal concentration (MBC) of 12.5 mu-g/ml (Kubo I. Muroi H. Kubo A. Chaudhiri S K. Sanchez Y. Ogura T. Planta Medica 60 (3). 1994. 218-221)

Immunological studies on arnica extract showed stimulation activity of phagocytosis of granulocyte. (Wagner H. Jurcic K. Arzneimittel-Forschung 41 (10). 1991. 1072-1076).

Studies showed that arnica extract inhibit the hair perforating ability of fungi that cause tinea capitus. (Bahuguna S. Kushwaha R K S. International Journal of Cosmetic Science 15 (1). 1993. 1-5).

Triterpene:
Is purified from the alcohol extract of clandula flowers. It has been evaluated by studies with respect to their anti-inflammatory activity which showed marked inhibitory activity of the inflammatory response. (Akihisa T. Yasukawa K. Oinuma H. Kasahara Y. Yamanouchi S. Takido M. Kumaki K. Tamura T. Phytochemistry (Oxford) 43(6). 1996. 1255-1260).

Faradiol and its esters:
Purified from the alcoholic extract of the flower heads of Calendula and studies showed dose dependent anti-edematous activity and it has the same effect as an equimolar dose indomethacin. ( Zitterl Eglseer K. Sosa S. Jurenitsch J. Schubert Zsilavecz M. Della Loggia R. Tubaro A. Bertoldi M. Franz C. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 57(2). 1997. 139-144.)

Experimental studies showed that the best wound healing effect that of Calendula extract. The wound-healing period was shorter than that of the witness. (Oana L. Mates N. Ognean I. Muste A. Aldea M. Neculoiu D. Banciu C) 

Procyanidins:
It is purified from grape seeds. It has proven to have potent scavenger capacity for free radicals.
(Ricardo Da Silva J M. Darmon N. Fernandez Y. Mitjavila S. Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry 39 (9). 1991. 1549-1552). It has been also found that it stabilizes the capillary walls and prevent increased permeability which stops the edema in inflammatory reactions. (Zafirov D. Bredy Dobreva G. Litchev V. Papasova M. Acta Physiologica et Pharmacologica Bulgarica 16 (3). 1990. 50-54). Keeping healthy capillaries promote the blood supply of the hair follicles which make it, together with growth factors, effective in treating Alopecia.

Rutin:
It is purified from the extract of Viola tricolor flowers which is very rich in rutin. It has wide application in vascular diseases and it improves the circulation. (Toker, G. Turkoz, S. Erdemoglu, N. Pharmazie. 1998. 53: 7, 494-495. 11 ref.) 

Squalene:
It is a refined unsaturated aliphatic hydrocarbon found in the liver oil of Aizame sharks. It forms 5 to 8% of human sebum which helps to keep the scalp skin moist and free of dryness.

DERMAMED SCALP TREATMENT GEL IS RECOMMENDED IN THE FOLLOWIG SCALP PROBLEMS:

Tinea capitis, fungus scalp infection is common among school children. The major organism responsible for tinea capitis today is trichophyton tonsurans, which accounts for more than 90% of ringworm infections of the scalp in North America; the remaining 10% is caused by Microsporum canis and Microsporum audouinii. Asymptomatic carriers of trichophyton tonsurans usually remain culture-positive and probably play a role in the transmission of Tinea capitis to the household children and they should be treated in the same way as the symptomatic patients. 

Alopecia areata is a tissue-restricted autoimmune disease of the hair follicle, which results in hair loss and baldness. It is often psychologically devastating. The role of T lymphocytes in this disorder was investigated with cell transfer experiments. Studies indicate that alopecia areata is mediated by T cells, which recognize the follicular autoantigen and react against them causing destruction of the hair follicles and secondary hair falling. 

Androgenetic alopecia, a hereditary, androgen-driven disorder, is the most common form of alopecia in humans. It is more severe in men; women are more likely to experience diffuse thinning. The acute onset of alopecia in those with inflammatory diseases of the scalp suggests a variety of etiologies, including the impact of inflammatory cells, release of cytokines, abnormal level of hair growth factors. Therapeutic modalities, which are most effective when used in combinations, utilize hair growth promoters, antiandrogens, and androgen blockade agents. 


Androgenetic Alopecia

Topical application of Dermamed Scalp treatment Gel to the scalp, 3-5 times daily after being washed by gentle shampoo at least once daily, improves the blood supply of the hair follicles, and stops hair falling, regulates the sebum production and keeps the scalp free of fungi, bacteria and dandruff, clears up any existing bacterial or fungal infection and relieves any secondary inflammation. Dermamed Scalp treatment Gel has no adverse effect whether used for short or long-term period. It is preferred to be combined with Dermamed nutrition capsules, two capsule three times daily, to be taken orally, in order to supply the body with essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals necessary for maintaining healthy scalp skin and get maximal effect of the scalp treatment gel.

  • March 06, 2015
  • DermaMed Pharmaceutical Inc.

Thank you for shopping with us

View Cart